Two years ago, on January 6, 2010, I created a list.
I’d never really evaluated my life in terms of a ‘bucket list’ and, fueled by the slap-in-the-face reality of how short life is after The Hubs’ death, I decided to do exactly that. I was (very sporadically) journaling on Livejournal back then and stumbled across something called Mission 101.
The goal was to complete 101 tasks (the items on your bucket list, if you will) in 1001 days. Not unrealistic, right? At least I thought so. So I created it and was full of high hopes that I would complete the list before the deadline. I filled it with 72 items, leaving the rest open to be added as time passed and new things came to mind. Over time I added a few things and updated it regularly; however, I eventually stopped writing in my LJ and thus stopped keeping up with the list. And then…well, you know that saying. Out of sight, out of mind. I still thought about it occasionally and wondered where I was on my goals, but didn’t take the time to check.
So now, here it is, January 2012 and my deadline on that list is October of this year. (What?! How did that much time pass already?!) With 10 months remaining to check items off, and especially with my new ‘grab life by the horns’ attitude, I figured I better get crackin’ and start living! And what better way to get pumped up about finishing the list than to share it here?
I took some time tonight to go over the whole list, update my progress on the original items, and add a few new ones in the empty slots (reachable goals, of course, and there are still a few left empty). I’m actually pretty excited now to do some of these things! I’ve always worked well under pressure ;) Who knows if I will actually complete them all, but the fun is in trying to!
If you haven’t created a ‘bucket list’ or just want to challenge yourself, check out Mission 101 (also known as Day Zero Project) or just create your own list. If you do, come on back and link up to your list so I can follow your progress and share in your successes! And if you are interested in following my progress, I’ll be adding a link to this post for quick reference (as much for myself as you guys, haha!)
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part). Cross them off as you do them, and add the dates. Include the date you started the list and the finishing date.
Start Date :: January 6, 2010
Finish Date :: October 3, 2012
Bold – In progress.
Italicized – Edited in some way.
Crossed out – Completed!
Red – Failed.
Heath and Body
01. Drink more water, at least two bottles a day.
02. Take vitamins daily.
03. Get thee to a dentist! Get caught up on all dental health; when complete, look into Invisalign.
04. Give up all fast food/eating out for two consecutive months.
05. Exercise regularly, at least three times per week.
06. Stay current on eye/gyn/physical appointments each year.
07. Eat Raw for one week.
08. Research Lasik eye surgery. Get the balls to think about doing it!
09. Lower body fat percentage and increase overall strength.
10. Treat myself to a massage, pedicure, or facial once per month.
11. Try a Brazilian wax!
12. Switch from coffee to tea daily for a month to see caffeine impact.
13. Let my hair grow for one year – only cut to trim/shape and encourage growth.
14. Answer the “50 QUESTIONS THAT WILL FREE YOUR MIND” (2/50) (Answers shared on this page.)
18. Write a letter to myself to be read in 5 years.
19. Send a secret to POSTSECRET.
21. Brainstorm and develop an idea for a charitable foundation in The Hub’s name.
24. Decide what I want to ‘do’ in life — develop a long-term goal.
25. Complete Little Man’s baby book and
first year photo album.
Create memory journal for Little Man and write in it often.
27. Eat dinner at the table with Little Man at least 4 nights a week.
28. Have a “Mommy and Son” day with Little Man, doing something new, monthly.
29. Connect with my sister in some way (phone, email, visit) weekly.
30. Have ‘Christmas in July’ and surprise loved ones with handmade gifts.
31. Take Mom somewhere, anywhere, to see the world!
32. Go on a Girl’s Weekend vacation with my sister.
33. Send birthday cards to every family member each year.
34. Join SOLDIERS ANGELS. Remain active on at least one Team.
35. Send Care Packages overseas to troops.
36. Get involved with a charity; participate in at least one big volunteer event a year.
37. Write 5 letters to people who have influenced me, thanking them.
38. Leave 10 inspiring letter/note in a random place to be found by someone.
39. Complete 20 random acts of kindness.
40. Donate $2 to the ARMED FORCES FOUNDATION for every goal accomplished.
41. Donate $8 to the ARMED FORCES FOUNDATION for every goal NOT accomplished.
42. Recycle as much as possible.
43. ‘Finish’ learning to play the guitar. Write at least one song.
44. Learn to knit. Complete at least one piece.
45. Start painting again.
46. Get back into photography; revamp equipment and decide on business or not.
47. Read 50 new books.
48. Watch 50 new films.
49. Photograph each completed task (or something that represents it).
50. Complete “WRECK THIS JOURNAL.”
51. Make a piece of memorial jewelry for Mama B out of some of The Hubs’ things.
52. Carry a sketchbook daily for one week and sketch anything that comes to mind.
53. Go on a road trip to a undetermined destination that I’ve never been to before.
54. Visit at least three National Parks. (2 of 3! Glacier National Park and Great Smoky Mountains National Park)
55. Learn to rock climb.
56. Go skydiving.
57. Go on a hiking/camping trip.
58. Learn to ride a motorcycle and get motorcycle license!
59. Train for and run in a marathon.
60. Travel/vacation somewhere alone.
61. Visit at least one new country.
62. Visit at least three new museums.
63. Go geocaching.
64. Get my palm read just for the fun of it.
65. Stay on top of tracking finances and budgets.
66. Meet with a Financial Advisor; set up a Trust Fund for Little Man and investments.
67. Complete my Will.
68. Organize and backup all music and photos on computer.
69. Revamp entire wardrobe, replacing with only well-fitting quality pieces.
70. Get my next tattoo…or two.
71. Master at least 50 of the “75 THINGS EVERY WOMAN SHOULD MASTER”
(Completed: 1-2, 4-5, 7, 9-12, 14-15, 19-25, 27-29, 31, 34-36, 39-43, 45-48, 53, 55-60, 62-66, 70)
72. Stay informed; read the paper more.
Reserved for the Future
73. Start a blog and write regularly.
74. Work on self-image; get comfortable in my new skin.
75. Get a group together to release lanterns for The Hubs.
76. Finally go through all of The Hub’s things in the garage.
77. Work harder at the damn phone! Try to keep it with me and return calls right away.
78. Reconnect with God and find a church home.
79. Go back to South Dakota, see the house again in hopes of finding a little closure.
80. Reconnect with old friends.
81. Sell at least one photograph.
Added as of January 2012
82. Take a painting class.
83. Go on a Girl’s Roadtrip!
84. See my best Jess, however we have to make it happen!
85. Take my Mama to Glacier National Park.
86. Hike (if you can call it that in FL) at least 3 new trails.
87. Complete all puppy training classes for Oliver.
88. Plan and execute a successful first Welcome Luncheon for the EODMF Legacy Committee.
89. See at least 2 concerts.
90. Go out on a date.
91. Share some of my old writing.
92. Read my sister’s book.
93. Get Invisalign.
94. Break my addiction to that one awful bad habit.
95. Research and plan for private schooling for Little Man.
96. Clear out computer files for photos, etc. from the last few years, delete, organize, etc.
And the grand finale:
101. Be able to check off everything above!! :)